Friday, August 19, 2011

Afternoon update

Mom rested very peacefully last night for 8 hours, wakened only to have some blood drawn. Fortunately, she is blessed with the ability to go right to sleep,or go right back to sleep when wakened.

After breakfast this morning, her blood sugar was a little out of range on the high side (168). As you probably know, she and the medical staff were hopeful that she could control her diabetes with diet alone. That has turned out not to be the case, unfortunately. She has been taking one Ameryl a day, and as of today, she is to take two Metformin daily. The good news is, these are both very inexpensive, easy to come by, and vastly preferable to insulin. (Virtually the first thing Dr. Hassan told her was to throw away all her insulin, which she did with glee. BTW, Dr. Hassan's contract is up, and he has gone back to his country of origin. Mom thinks that's Dubai, not sure.)

Mom took a long walk with her physical therapist this morning, without a cane or a walker, just her own two feet. She had to stop occasionally and lean against the wall to catch her breath, but made it the whole way unassisted.

Wilma and Stephanie came by for a visit early this afternoon, and also took me out to lunch. Mom had a tortelloni with meat sauce and a salad, all of which she said was very good.

I saw a little more of Tyler than I wanted to see this morning, and didn't get to the hospital until about 11:15, but we had a nice visit before lunch, and after lunch we went for a long "walk." Mom rode in the wheelchair, doing the vast majority of the pushing on the way to our destinations. She was ready for me to push on the way back.

We saw the garden on the 4th floor of the Ornelas Tower. It is very lovely, and despite the heat,most of it was in the shade and we spent a few minutes outdoors, looking out over the city. Then we made our way down to the chapel. It is very ornate and very Catholic, reminds me a lot of the pictures I have seen of the church at Panna Maria. I learned for the first time that mom sang in her church choir (Carlisle Methodist), from the time she was about 12 until she graduated from high school.

Mom just exclaimed, "It's raining!" and sure enough, a nice little shower is coming down, sprinkling big drops on her window. She said, "I didn't know if I would live long enough to see rain again," so I guess that's one more thing she can cross off her Bucket List.

I apologize to all for my post last night of "Unknown" origin. I had assumed that, since I had logged in through Google, the computer would know my identity and supply it somewhere. Wrong again. ( Sigh ) Don't know what the time stamp will say in this one, but th actual time is 5:19 CDT.

Mom is using her iPad now, to catch up on her emails. More later, if there is any news fit to print.

Love to all,

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment